Oh My Football logo
Last Updated: June 20th 2020, 8:30 pm

Premier League stars refuse to return to training

Several Premier League players refused to return to training with their clubs which is scheduled for the next week due to fears of the coronavirus pandemic.

 

The virus claimed the life of more than 32 000 people in the United Kingdom and that led to the suspension of the Premier League.

 

There has not been any played games since March 13, but 'Project Restart' aims June 12 as a possible returning date for the Premier League.


 


The players are due to start training again, but in small groups on Monday.

 

However, Daily Mail claim that several players have reservation on the Premier League return and they have told their managers that they are not willing to return to training.

 

The Premier League clubs will have a video meeting with their players to go through protocols ahead of their return.

 

But some of the players refuse to train while the coronavirus threat looms large.


 

That might lead to some serious problems for the club as it could see Premier League clubs resuming the season without their full squads.

 

Earlier this week the government allowed to the Premier League to resume the current campaign from June 1, but in order to that to happen the fixtures have to be played behind closed doors.

 

Players like Sergio Aguero, Raheem Sterling and Manuel Lanzini have already expressed their reservations on the Premier League return.

 

Aguero said that most of the players are still scared, Sterling expressed that he has mixed emotions about the idea of returning and Lanzini believes that it would be ‘crazy’ to resume without coronavirus vaccine.



However, Danny Rose, Tottenham's right-back who is on loan to Newcastle was even more critical. The Englishman even said that the idea of returning is a ‘f***ing joke’.

 

“I’m not even going to lie. The government is saying bring football back because it’s going to boost the nation’s morale, I don’t give a f*** about the nation’s morale,” said the 29-year-old player on an Instagram Live.

 

“People’s lives are at risk, you know what I mean? Football shouldn’t even be spoken about coming back until the numbers have dropped massively. It’s b*******.

 

“We’ll see, I think I’m getting tested on Friday, so we’ll just have to wait and see. I listened to the announcement, no football until June 1st or something, I don’t even pay attention to any of that.

 

“I’m sad that people are getting sick and being affected. Football should be the last of things that need to be sorted.”